Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Sketchbook Stories - Page 2

For anyone jumping in, here's the original post that detailed this project and featured page 1. 

Now here's page 2!



Looks like there are quite a few pages from my unfinished graphic novel so I'll feature them on the blog rather than just my twitter.  It basically follows page one as a long introduction, showing powers and a (in this case, a baby's) *spark* (for lack of a better term) that brings forth their aforementioned powers.  Before I go on, let's look at what I had written on the side.

"Those who first revealed themselves were famed as undecipherable celebrities.  Showing off when they don't even look like they can even throw a punch.  Not all revealed were met with enthusiasm.  While those smart (or greedy) enough to bank on their new found "powers", the younger you were, the less control you had over your (powers) and the higher chance that you release it (most, if not all of your potential power) in a violent manner."

By the way, the text in bold is my personal commentary.  I missed a word and I can't read my handwriting often (happens more than I'd like to admit).

In general, all of this is WAY too expository.  It's helpful for me to get my ideas out, but not for a final draft of something.  About the art itself, I remember being very happy about the man's shape as he is knocking on the door (center panel), since I drew it straight from my imagination.

That's one of the big differences between me back then and me now.  I know the value of reference (use reference kids, all the pros do it).  Now, if I wanted to draw the back of someone knocking on a door, I'll pose and take a picture, or find it on the internet.  While sketching gives you the freedom to just draw gestures and suggestions, for final images, it is IMPERATIVE for you to use reference.  Even if your anatomy is off just a bit, the eye will catch it, and the image is ruined. 

See you tomorrow for page 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment